As part of the Nonprofit Overhead Project, CalNonprofits and Lake research tested messages about overhead with county government officials and with individual donors. The “Don’t Say That, Say This” study was presented on January 26, 2017 to members of CalNonprofits.
The research covers:
• Focus groups with mid-level donors (who make at least one donation of $200 or more but no donation more than $1,000)
• Survey of randomly selected California residents who are mid-level donors
• Interviews with county supervisors and staff in six California counties
The findings show:
• The best way to explain nonprofit overhead
• How to bring up the overhead issue
• The best arguments to use with governments for reasonable indirect cost rates
The California Association of Nonprofits (CalNonprofits) is a statewide alliance of over 10,000 organizations that brings nonprofits together to advocate for the communities we serve. To join or learn more click here.